Sunday, September 02, 2007

The World Is My Canvas


When Jamie was here we forced him to move a lot of heavy furniture. Actually, it was a great favor to us, especially to me, because one of the first things they told me at the doctor's office when I was pregnant was that I shouldn't try to lift anything more than 20 pounds. Which is laughable, as I have two small children both over 20 pounds. The jug of cat litter? That bag of dog food? Both over 20 pounds.

But when it came to moving furniture, I decided to err on the side of caution, and restrict the amount of pushing and pulling and straining I would have to do. This meant that, for several months we have had extra mattresses in rooms, extra furniture in others, and I had the feeling my life was cluttered and out of control.

One of the things Jamie did was to move a new mattress onto our bed, and take that one off. Our previous mattress was HUGE and poofy, and I was rolling off the bed and scrambling to get on it. I only have to get up to pee an average of thee times a night, and I still have 3 months of pregnancy to go, but near the end I knew how irritating the height of the mattress can be.

But I had gotten used to it. We have this spectacular mattress on our bed now, and it is easier to get on and off, but I keep looking at my bed and thinking "what happened?" It looks like our bed has been replaced by a cot. Which it hasn't, I'm just that used to seeing the pillows at a certain height.

By the way, our guest room now has our old mattress on it, and now our guests will need a step ladder to get into bed.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I love the pics of the boys in their painter's smocks -- they look so Picasso-esque!

My bed is very very high due to the platform it is built on -- the mattress makes it even higher. I like to refer to it as the Princess & the Pea Bed. No step-ladder needed, just pole vaulting.