Monday, September 03, 2007

Peas and... Peas


I have this cold.

It's not the worst cold I've ever had - I'm sneezing, coughing, and more than a little congested. But it's enough so that I've broken down and used nose pray a couple of times, even though I know I shouldn't because it's not on the list of OK medications. I've tried the saline sprays, and the only thing they do is sting my nose. The medicated nose sprays do not hurt, and they actually DO something - withing 5 minutes I can breathe, my ears start to drain, and I can feel like a normal person again.

The cold is made worse by the fact that I have horrible acid reflux, caused by the pregnancy. Last night I also took one more Tums than I was supposed to, but it wouldn't stop the burning in my throat. Apparently, water causes acid reflux. And when you can't drink water, you know there's nothing that can be done.

Not to mention the fact that I am now too big for comfort. I am remembering now why I was so impatient for Nathan to be born. Because It's uncomfortable. Not just the not-fitting into clothing, but the fact that rolling over in bed is now a gymnastic event, and bending over to pick up the sippy cups that are scattered and leaking all over the house three million times a day has become more of a workout than my previous 10 mile runs. Not to mention the fact that a two-pound baby is constantly kicking me in the gut.

Alone, any one of these things can be dealt with easily, but together... together it spells GRUMPY MOM.

And now I shall celebrate Labor Day by cleaning my house.

3 comments:

Lou said...

Oh my God - I love that picture SO MUCH! Fleen, I'm with you on the acid reflux and everything else. I know that pregnancy is a blessing and a miracle and all that, but when I'm throwing up stomach acid in the middle of the night it seems more like a punishment or a sick, cruel joke. Anyway - I'm on Pepcid AC for my acid reflux (double the dosage on the package I was ordered) - maybe the doctor can give you something? I won't lie - it doesn't help completely - but, I do notice a marked difference when I don't take it. Normally, I don't take anything when I'm pregnant, but, hello? I'm so not pretending I'm Superwoman at this point.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're not feeling well.

The recent pictures are so fabulous.

Feel better.

Jules said...

Sorry about the acid-reflux. Here are some suggestions:

Clearly, try to avoid gassy and/or fatty foods as much as possible. Also, rather than 3 larger meals, try eating more frequent smaller meals. Also, be aware of your posture - good posture may also reduce symptoms. You could also try to sip milk for some temporary relief. Also herbal teas might help. But definitely talk to your doctor if things keep progressing - s/he might prescribe something for it! Hang in there!