Sunday, September 30, 2007

This Really Happened

Last night, as I was putting the boys to bed, Nicholas picked up a dixie cup that had been sitting by his bed all day and brought it up to his mouth. Lillian was there, and she said "Nicholas, whatever that is, it's old. I didn't give it to you." And I said "I think it's juice - did your Daddy give you juice?" And Nick said "I think it's pee."

I took the little cup from him and smirked. "No," I said. It's juice, why would it be -" I sniffed it.

It was pee.

I am well familiar with the laziness of males that causes them to suddenly be unable to walk ten feet to an appropriate place and need to pee in cups or jars or bottles. I drove cross country with two guys. I have had guys as roommates. I have seen the horror. I do not understand it, but I have seen it. The last place I expected to see it again, however, was in my own child. At least at the age of THREE.

"Why is there pee in a cup?" I asked as I poured it down the drain and sprinkled Comet in the basin. "Well," Nick said, "I had to pee..."

Of course Lillian was there to witness the whole thing, and she was kind of laughing, and I suppose I was laughing, too. I honestly didn't know Nick was able to aim that well. But apparently, he is. I just hope that he listens to what I said and does not repeat this behavior... at least until he's grown up and away and living somewhere else where I won't have to come face to face with it.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

OMG! I have laboured under the belief all this time that they (boys/men) developed these ghastly habits later. Who knew they were born that way?! No wonder girls think boys are yukky! You certainly have your work cut out for you -- you are outnumbered & about to birth another of "them". Good luck, my lovely, you will certainly need it if you are to survive.

Lou said...

At least he didn't try to convince Nate it was apple juice or something . . . ewwwwww!

Jamie said...

I hate to sound condescending. But barring road trips, visits to the doctor and other random emergency situations, I have to say that Nick's age is probably the cut off point at which peeing in a cup should be considered acceptable. Let him get it out of his system before it requires an intervention from the masses in his adulthood.