Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Time After Time

I promise that today I will download whatever I have on my camera, and tomorrow I will have more photos to post. And that I will also start taking pictures again.

There are several good books about time travel that I can think of off the top of my head. The Time Traveler's Wife is a very good one. I also really liked Timeline, by Michael Crichton (Movie was bad, book was good.) The Thursday Next novels have a certain amount of time travel in them. And so does one of the Harry Potter Books.

But for a three year old, time is confusing enough as it is. Meshing together the past and the future is almost more than Nicholas can deal with. He understands that some things have already happened, and those things all happened "yesterday." Remember when we went to New York? Yesterday. Storyland? Yesterday. Christmas? Yesterday. But he also throws in a few "nevers" which muddles things up quite a bit. "Do you remember Logan?" I asked him yesterday (the real yesterday.) Nicholas nodded. "Yeah! We saw him yesterday (February) at my house!... I never saw Logan before."

I think the "nevers" are confused with forgetting or length of time.

But the nevers and the yesterdays are not half as confusing as the future. Nicholas asks me every other day is the baby is coming yet. Because to him, "December" means as much as "in two minutes" or "when hell freezes over."

I told him he could watch a movie on TV when it aired next Monday night, and that we could have a special movie night in PJ's and with special TV treats. He was thrilled, at first. Then he spent all last night crying because I wouldn't let him watch it RIGHT NOW. And it did no good to explain that I wasn't in charge of programming at the TV station, that I couldn't just make a TV show BE ON TV. He wanted to watch it RIGHT AWAY! And I beat my head against the wall and wondered why I say anything to begin with when I can't even bend the forces of the universe to allow time travel.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

kathleen, just bite the bullet and make the television program go on. now

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Well, you could have just called me! I work at the network & I could put on anything I want, whenever I want!