Monday, January 09, 2006

I am having this problem with Laundry.

Laundry is one of those things that happens, and it grows on you, and there's not much you can do about it except be naked a lot. And apparently babies bring laundry WITH them.

It seems silly - I mean, babies are so small. And their clothes are so tiny. I mean, how much laundry could you possibly GET from someone under 10 pounds? The answer is : A LOT. They poop and pee through their clothes and onto their blankets and bedsheets. They spit up all over themselves and their tiny bibs and onto your shirts and pants. And it's true - they DO have tiny clothes. So you have to sort through tiny shirts and pants no bigger than socks to figure out what is what once they come out of the dryer.

So when Nicholas was born and I got overwhelmed I made myself a promise: Laundry one day a week. I might spend ALL DAY doing laundry, but there was no way I would dedicate more time to it than that. And for a long, long time - over a year - it worked.

That is, until recently, when lugging a load of laundry upstairs became practically impossible without a nap afterwards.

So I made a change to my plan: laundry TWICE a week, but I would decide ahead of time how much to do. No "doing all of it" because that would send me over the edge, but I could do, say whites and darks, or towels and delicates... and if I had a few shirts that didn't make it, too bad. They would wait.

Well, my mother is now with us. I am not sure if it's her influence (although I know that my pillow cases do not get ironed when I am left to my own laundry devices - the horror) but we seem to be doing laundry EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not just one or two loads, but constant laundry. Sheets, towels, socks, bibs - it is driving me CRAZY. I have to say that loading a washer or dryer isn't that bad. It's the folding and sorting and putting away that I absolutely HATE. And I feel like I'm doing it ALL THE TIME!

So my question is, where does it all come from? I mean, I had all these clothes done in one day before. Why is it now taking three weeks to see the bottom of our hampers?

2 comments:

LARISSA said...

Scary, Kathleen, that I had a very similar conversation with my roommmate last night. It seems that every single night I'm at home I do laundry. I'll take a shirt out of the dryer and say, "I don't remember wearing this. Heck, do I even OWN this?"

Lou said...

That's why instead of doing laundry I just buy new clothes. Old Navy is my friend.