Sunday, January 22, 2006


Nicholas is now officially a toddler.

It's not just that he seems bigger next to his baby brother, or even that he is speaking more, understands more, or jumps with both feet.

It's that he throws real, honest temper tantrums.

My mother purchased this toy for him - a Music Player Storybook with plastic discs that look kind of like CD's... the idea was great, since Nick LOVES CD's and CD players. But it backfired. Because the discs have to fit in the player EXACTLY the right way. Nick can get the disc in the player, but then becomes so frustrated at the fact that he can't turn it the right way that he looses his cool. Or maybe it's just that he wants the music to play while he holds the discs in his hands - I really don't know.

In any case, Nick has vented his frustration on the poor Music Player Toy, who can't help how it was designed. He hit it multiple times with the discs before I could intervene. When I did, he was still upset. So he then proceeded to BEAT HIS HEAD ON THE FLOOR.

He stands up and bends over in what looks like a very advanced yoga pose, then bangs his head on the floor. He always looks at me afterwards, as if daring me to yell at him. This behavior FREAKS STEVE OUT - I mean, he really can't stand it. And he yells at Nick to stop. But I have decided to ignore it. I don't think he would really hurt himself, I hink he's just trying to get us to react. So I won't.

It is strange, though, to see him do it, especially over something as silly as Music Player.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

holy crap, he's so much bigger than nate!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen,

Tell Nick he misheard the expression: one is supposed to beat one's head against the WALL, not the floor! I'm sure he'll catch on eventually.

Love and love,
Emily.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! He is like Gigantor compared to Nate! As for the head banging, just put a little football helmet on him & let him go to town!
I love you soooo much!