Sunday, January 08, 2006

My mother's hsense of direction is horrible.

This is one of the reasons we worried when she was gone for 3 hours yesterday just to go buy a few groceries.

The BEST example I can come up with is one that took place when she was here when Nicholas was born. She decided that she would go to Wal-Mart to buy a few things. Now, we had been to Wal-Mart a few times at this point, and we gave her detailed directions on how to get there. But my mother being my mother, she lost her bearings almost as soon as she made the first turn.

She ended up back at the house a few hours later. It turned out she just kept driving, found a Wal-Mart truck on the road, and followed it until she got to a Wal-Mart. I asked her if it ever occured to her that the truck could have been LEAVING the Wal-Mart, but she didn't seem concerned. In fact, nothing about the situation seemed odd to her.

I am still not sure how she made it home.

I just want to end by saying that my mother is helping out a lot, and I have every respect for her. I don't want to diminish her skills as a cook or a cleaner or a whatever it is she does while she's here because I appreciate it too much.

That being said, I do worry when she borrows to car and leaves for hours. Practice for when my kids are Teens, I suppose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, unfortunately. i will probably be making the same sortof decisions when i'm her age.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think there is an odd sort of genius in her idea of following the WalMart truck. I would have called information, personally, but that takes all the adventure out of it!

Love, Emily