Saturday, January 21, 2006


I forgot about the peeing.

I have already raised a baby boy to the ripe old age of 20 months. It wasn't that long ago that Nicholas was this small, and I was freaking out about putting vaseline on HIS circumcision wound. And I knew that, sometimes, babies pee on you when they get their diaper changed.

Today Nathan went through 5 outfits. Each time I went to change his diaper he would firehose the whole thing, usually just as I had finished applying vaseline to the diaper and was ready to end the whole operation. The clean diaper, the outfit he was wearing, and sometimes the shirt I was wearing would get covered in pee.

But the MAIN event took place around lunchtime, when Steve's mother and aunt came to visit. I took Nathan into the next room to change him. I couldn't help but let out a small yelp when he peed all over - it still takes me by surprise, I can't tell you why. SO then I cried out for Steve because I needed a new outfit.

And then, came the POOP. Nick POOPED a very liquidy poop in MY direction as I was trying to wipe up the pee. I right out screamed!

The worst part about the whole thing was that I then got a lot of useless help. My mother ran up to get clean clothes for the baby. Steve came in with paper towels, and Lillian - Steve's mom - came in and hovered over my right shoulder as I cleaned up the poop from the changing table and the baby and wiped every inch of Nathan's body with baby wipes. Then my mother came down with a pair of PJ's marked 3 to 6 months. "Too big?" she asked. Um, yeah. By a lot. The newborn stuff swamps Nate right now.

So I had to run upstairs and leave my naked baby in the care of these people, who were very interested in staring at the baby - not so interested in helping to clean up the poop.

Ever since then I have been careful changing his diapers. He still peed all over everything, but it was relatively uneventful and I managed to fix it in a few minutes with no sideshow, commentary, or helpful advice beeing handed out as I rush about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, no. I cannot be true. Look how cute he is!! He is perfect & so is his big brother! They couldn't possibly be capable of projectile excreta. From here it all sounds like a sit-com episode with all the yelping, people running around, not helping & the angelic naked babies in too big clothes.

Lou said...

First of all - he is so adorable (as is Nicholas - you guys make damn cute babies)! Secondly, I hear you with the peeing. My god. I crowned myself "Worst Mother of the Year" when Logan peed into his eye when he was 3 weeks old.