Monday, January 30, 2006


My brother Winston came up to visit for a few hours. To be fair, this visit lasted longer then his previous visits in that he actually stayed with us for more than one night. Not that I don't think he should visit, but I often wonder if it is worth his while to drive up from New York.

Anyway, I love it when my family visits, but I am then often faced with the fact that I am boring, and that there is nothing to do here. As the evening rolls around Steve and I begin throwing out ideas that all seem lame and not fun. Our guests must be plied with alcohol so that we can convince them they are enjoying themselves, and that we are witty and entertaining people.

Yesterday afternoon Steve took Winston out to look at some rocks. There is some issue surrounding these rocks and the new high school in our town - I won't go into it because trust me, you don't care. But for whatever reason, Steve got a call from a fellow planning board member INVITING HIM to go look at these rocks.

So they did. Steve told me they'd be gone for 30 minutes and he took off with my brother, leaving me here with Nick and Nate.

An hour later they came back. Nicholas immediately ran to the baby gate and begged to be picked up, shouting "Dada! Daddy! Dada!"

However, Steve informed me they couldn't stay. They had come only to switch vehicles because Steve's fellow planning board member's car GOT STUCK! So off they went again, leaving me for yet another 40 minutes with Nate and a very, very sad and sobbing Nicholas.

I would like to be able to simply take off to look at some rocks, but under the circumstances I need to plan my trips to the mailbox.

2 comments:

flash103 said...

Hiya Kathleen,
Your dad just pointed me in the direction of your page and I thought I'd start at the top.. or in this case at the bottom to see what'd been happening.
It's almost like your own column in the newspaper! hahaha
I'm reminded of a definition I heard once of piloting an airplane. Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror.
I'm just gonna read on.
Uncle Flash

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, dear. I had a wonderful time looking at the photos and hearing about the little darlings. Once upon a time, my little ones were so helpless and demanding of time and attention, so I can understand how very busy you are. In a short time they'll be out of these things and into other things, but it will still be fun, and you will wonder where the time went. They are such beautiful boys! It was a joy to hear about your blog and finally get to see you all.
I will be in touch via snail mail, but had to tell you how wonderful it is to see you this way.
Barry and I send all our love to each and all of you.

Aunt Mary Ann