Thursday, June 22, 2006

Baa Baa Black Sheep


What you can' tell from this photo is just how SMALL this little lamb is. It lives at the farm we visited the other week, but I couldn't manage to feed it. The bigger sheep and the alpacas swarm anyone who looks like they might have food and the little guys can't compete.

So far today is cool (of course it's only 8am), and I have an optimistic outlook, probably because Nathan slept through the night until 5:15 am, and I did a load of wash yesterday without creating a wading pool in the laundry room (was I imagining the water on the floor?), plus I have to say I was really encouraged by yesterday's comments. I was really feeling down and incompetent, and you, you people who comment, you let me know that, well, it's OK to feel incompetent. Because kids scrape themselves and you can't do anything about it. So I've decided to approach it the same way I do the pet hair situation. I can't do anything about it. So I just tell myself it builds character and boosts the immune system. The same with treadmill related injuries.

I do have a general question, though. I took my fair share of education classes, including child development and education psychology. But I can't seem to remember anything about when a child should call himself by his own name. When I call Nicholas, he responds. But he calls himself BOY. If he sees his reflection, or a photograph of himself, he calls it "boy." If you say you are going upstairs and he wants to come, he says "Boy too!"

I'm not overly concerned about it, but every once and awhile I wonder if I'm raising a serial killer or someone with a split personality. You know - one is named Nicholas and the other is BOY.

6 comments:

Lou said...

Scary, soul-sucking lamb eyes!! I don't know anything about your Nick/Boy situation. If it makes you feel any better, I am 99.9% sure that Logan will call himself Boogie when he starts talking.

Jules said...

:) Remember the time when my nephew decided his name was not Joshua, but Big Fat Cheese. And my other nephew referred to me as "Bup Bup Hmm" when he was little. Yeah, kids are weird.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's trying to assert his gender identity. Anyway, Boy is kind of a cute nickname. Haha. Nick Name. Boy Wonder. Boynick. Boychik. Love, Anne-E.

Anonymous said...

I think he's brilliant!!! He knows he's a little boy, not a man, not a mommy, not a daddy and not a baby!!!

I also think he's adorable and so is Nathan.

That's it for my two cents worth!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's like the son of Tarzon and Jane, That child was called Boy. At least in the movies. I THINK IN TH E BOOK HE WAS Jack. I think this is not something one shoule worry about. the grandmama

Anonymous said...

I meant, of course, one should NOT worry about. That's what comes of having champagne with dessert. love xoxoxo me