Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Fence Me In

Nick has been climbing back into the crib.

This is a problem. Not so much because I don't want him in a crib. Or even because I'm afraid he'll hurt himself. No. I'm afraid he'll hurt NATE, who is almost always already in the crib when Nick scales it.

One of the first CSI episodes I ever saw was the one where that 4 month old dies and it turns out he was smothered by his 3 year old brother, who wasn't evil he was just 3 and didn't know any better. In the living room, where there's plenty of room to run around, I don't worry too much about the boys getting in each other's way. But in a crib, which is much smaller, I keep thinking Nick will sit on Nate by accident and I won't be able to hear Nate cry for help.

The thing is, I don't really have any way of stopping this from happening. Usually Nick goes right to sleep and it's not an issue, but this morning I tried closing the door to the room so Nick wouldn't climb over the baby gate and run around the house... and of course he ended up in the crib, waking Nathan up in the process...

I feel for him. I was always an early riser as small child, and I remember wandering around the house, impatient for someone to wake up so that I would have someone to play with. I remember climbing into my sister's crib, helping my brother over... and then helping her OUT of the crib. My mother would come in to get her and she'd be in the toy box - we'd be in the crib.

If Nate were just a few months older... when he learns how to sit up by himself and doesn't get confused about turning over... THEN I'll feel a lot better and a lot more comfortable about Nick climbing in there. Until then, I'll be getting up at 5, when Nick does, to prevent disaster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I think he looks pretty comfy in the cat carrier. Or taking a page from your youth, make him a bed in the toy box. Maybe he needs to feel a bit more enclosed?