Monday, June 19, 2006

Les Miserables


You know what they say, it's not the heat... it's the humidity. Yesterday it only got to 93. But it felt like it was 102. And I'm not kidding.

And we do not have air conditioning.

It's one thing when you're a grown up and it's just you and you're hot because at least you know you're hot and you can always just take a cold shower or sit in air conditioning or go to the movies...

It's something completely different when you have two babies stripped down to their diapers with heat rash all over their little tummies, whining and crying, refusing to eat anything, and unab;e to sleep because it's SO HOT. Honestly, I felt bad I was making them wear diapers. It was that hot. After Nathan spat out all of his rice cereal I made Steve take them upstairs to the den, which is not childproof at all and which is also always dark because that's where the screen and the projector is and we usually just go there to watch movies. BUT, it is the ONLY air-conditioned room in the house. I then fed Nick an ice-cream sandwich on the micro-fiber recliner chairs and we put in an Alfred Hitchcock film. When I finally felt the boys HAD to go to bed, I sat down and read them 6 books, trying to lull them off to sleep. Usually I read one book and then shut the door to keep Nick in there, but I was afraid they would die from lack of oxygen to the brain. So I kept reading.

And of course they were both up a couple of times during the night. So was Steve. Because not only do kids have a hard time sleeping hot nights, but grown ups do, too.

It is hot today, too. I am planning on dragging the kids to the library so that we can be cranky somewhere with central air.

Isn't it funny? I think last week I was complaining about the cold and the rain. And today I'm planning on pitching a tent inside the freezer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Underwear in the freezer. I survived many hot humid mosquito infested Minnesota summers this way. Also, a nice cold beer in the morning can put you in a good mood for the rest of the day!
xo
anne-e.

Kathleen said...

Yeah... the thing about having kids is, that first beer at 6am? It just doesn't have the same effect.

Lou said...

Just thank god you don't live in a house where the heat comes on whenever the hot water heater comes on. I have a deep understanding of said situation.

Anonymous said...

Heeeey, waaaait a minute! What do you mean no air conditioning? did I say I was coming to visit you in August -- the hottest most humid month of the year? Have I lost my mind? Hell, I'm buying a blow-up pool for the yard as soon as I get there! We'll fill it with ice cubes & throw the kids in -- I'll be sitting in there too!

Anonymous said...

PS Wh is Anne-e, the WRITER, always annoymous? Doesn't she know how to enter her name before posting? Or doesn't she want us to know who she is?