Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Yesterday was just awful... and um... Yesterday was just awful.

It was hot. We stayed at the library as long as we could. I tried to get the boys to nap in the den, but Nick was too excited and kept scrambling all over everything, until I put him in his hot bedroom. I had to close the doors, because he climbs over the baby gates. He climbs into the crib. He climbs onto the changing table, where he switches the baby monitor on and off. He can also now reach the light switch, and as soon as I leave the room the lights go on.

Anyway, I found him in the crib, so drenched with sweat I thought he had a leaky diaper. But no, he was just very, very sweaty. I tried putting the boys in the kiddie pool - I even sat in it with them (I'm a step ahead of you there, Linda!) But Nick just sat on the ground and cried, loudly, until I broke down and brought us back inside before the neighbors could call social services. ("She's forcing him to be outside in this heat!" they would say. "Quick, take him away and place him with a family in Northern Canada!") We sat in the den, in the air conditioning, but I couldn't figure out how to make a movie play up there, and our cable will currently only give us 3 channels in that room, and I wasn't about to watch Home Shopping or some talk show with my kids.

I took them in the car to mail the netflix movies, and I spilled my Dr. Pepper all over the car. I realized we had nothing to make for dinner except frozen pizza and a salad. I then realized the salad had gone brown. Nick screamed when I tried to give him a bath. Nate cried when he had trouble falling asleep. Nick woke Nate up when I was putting HIM down, and then I had to sit there until both boys were asleep so I wouldn't have to close the doors and cut off their air supply.

So this morning, when the breeze coming through the window was just a bit too cool, I could feel every muscle in my body relax. Today is when I turn things around and get things in order again. I will stop dripping things. The boys will let me put them down for more than 5 minutes at a time, and they will find something to do other than watch TV.

We're going to the park.

3 comments:

Debs said...

I'm hoping it's cooler for you today. The weathers not too bad here at the moment. Warm enough to go out in a t-shirt, but not so hot you don't want to go out!

Anonymous said...

Fleen, you are nothing short of a saint! I love you so much!
Jules

Anonymous said...

Ai, ai, ai! What a horrible day! What about fans in the boys room(s)? You can direct them to blow some air over their beds & at least it would keep the sweat from pooling -- I know, it worked for me in B'dad!