Thursday, June 08, 2006

Biig Biig Cannon!

When we were kids driving into New York City for school every day, my brother used to point at some object out the window every single day and say "Look at the biiig, biiig cannon."

I had no idea what he was talking about. I saw no cannon. I saw no pencil (later he would point out a pencil?). But he kept saying it. Every. Single. Day. It. Drove. Me. Crazy. I mean, besides the fact that he was hallucinating and no one ever called him on it, the repetition drove me nuts.

Nicholas's favorite book is "The Best Nest," or, as he calls it, "Birds!" My mother sued to read this book to us when we were kids, so I know it well. But now? Now I know it SO MUCH BETTER! And more than just reading this book twice a day until I can recite it from memory in my sleep with a mouthful of marbles? The commentary.

I can't read one sentence without being interrupted. "Outside?" he says? And I must say "yes, outside!" before going on. I must acknowledge his observation. Otherwise he isn't convinced I actually heard it, and will keep repeating it. "Outside? Outside? Outsideoutsideoutside?" And this isn't the only one. "Flower? Flowerflowerflowerflower? Househousehousehouse?" A book that should take 5 minutes to read can be dragged out to a 20 minute procedure as I try to feed Nate, turn pages, keep the book open, read the words, and reply to Nick in a timely fashion.

I know this will only get worse. I need to find a way to numb myself. I'm thinking vodka.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already suggested tequila in a margarita, but you go ahead & pick your own poison. Are you getting the idea where exactly it is that women learn to 'multi-task' & why men can't? They don't have the 'practice' or necessity you do! Just beathe deeply & go on, you're doing fine. In 20 years you'll say it all went much too fast.

Debs said...

At least it gives you a chance to keep Nick entertained while you feed Nate?!?!