Friday, June 16, 2006

What's the Bzz?


I'm a Bzzagent! Crazy, huh?

OK - so I didn't know what it was either. And then yesterday my friend Betsy emailed me this information, and I began an internal dialogue that lasted until this morning. You know me - I'm a talker.

Apparently bzzagents are supposed to promote products by word of mouth. Can you imagine? I imagined myself trying to work in a vitamin supplement or a new brand of soda into conversation with other moms at the park. Yuck. The possibility horrified me. Besides that, they would need information from me so that I could join. My name. My phone number. My address. And sure they SAY they won't sell it to a billion other people, but you never know.

But then I realized that a bzzagent gets to choose which products they promote. I'm pretty sure you sign up for things. "campaigns" they call them. And you don't have to say anything if you don't want to. So if I taste the new soda and think it tastes like cough syrup, then I don't have to say anything. Or I can say it tastes like cough syrup. (HEY! That new Berry Dr. Pepper? COUGH SYRUP!) And supposedly I will get free stuff. To try out.

I like the free stuff. I like the idea of getting mail, because to tell the truth I sometimes feel stranded up here, and getting ANYTHING addressed to me makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Once I try something out, should I like it, I am then supposed to (I think) talk about it to my friends. Mention it. Let them know what I think. And then log in a report on the bzzz site, letting then know that "Yeah - I told my friend about that soda, and we both LOVE it..." And then whatever - they give you points, and if you get enough points you win a trip to the bahamas - it sounds like a credit card deal from that point onwards, so I'm not sure it will actually work out that way. But the first part, the part about seeing what's out there, that's exciting! kind of.

OH! And I promise I won't make this site a soap box for anything. I mean, anything I haven't already made this a soapbox for. So don't stop reading. I promise I won't go off the deep end or sell my soul to the marketing people.

The end. See you tomorrow. Love, Me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Lou said...

um, except it's not

Anonymous said...

the bzzz is the buzz.
hey, K.
~A

Jamie said...

I wanna be a bzzagent! Except I don't think I have a very strong target group out here. Maybe later when I'm home.

Anonymous said...

Huh? O, never mind, I'mnot in your demographic anyway. Pitch away. It'll have no effect on me!