Friday, June 23, 2006

My Mother, My Self


We used to make fun of my mother for her inability to remember our names. I mean, she knew who we were, but chances were, when it came time to address me in conversation, she would end up stringing together five or six names, inevitably calling me by my father's name, the dog's name, and quite often she called me Frances.

I didn't mean to give both my kids "N" names. It happened by accident, and then we decided we didn't care. But lately I have been calling the boys by each other's names. When both of the boys are with me I can cover it up - I mean, they are both so small. But sometimes, when Nate is sleeping, I call Nick Nate. And that's not so great, because as per yesterday's post, he's already having identity issues.

It's not just names, either. I posted some time ago about how Steve put Nate's diaper on Nick, and how I've almost done the same thing myself. Well, here are a few things I've done just recently that are even crazier than diaper mis-identification. I squirted a dropperful of Nick's flouride supplement into Nate's mouth and only noticed because he happily spat it out. I tried putting Nick's sandals on Nate's feet, and it took me some fumbling trying to get them to STAY before I realized the feet were WAY too small. And yesterday, while both boys were fussing and crying, I grabbed a pacifier in a fit of desperation, and after a few frustrating seconds realized I was trying to pop it into NICK'S mouth - Nick doesn't use a pacifier anymore - he hasn't for over a year. And we tell him he doesn't need one when he picks up Nate's. And there I was, trying to force one into his mouth... he was avoiding me, which is why I couldn't get it in, and the look on his face clearly said "Mom? You in there? You crazy?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which brings to mind the time I was giving amoxycillin to three children, (Annie was in the high chair) and the phone rang. I spooned the medicine into Annie"s mouth only to realize when I hung up the phone I'd given TWO doses to Annie. Immediate call to Dr. Scneider for reassurance that I had not poisoned my baby. You might also recall that even to this day I confuse Linda and Emily's names. It just gives your children something to say about you when you get older. Mom

Jamie said...

Remember when our neighbors on Walnut Court called us to say that Jamie was in their driveway eating through bags of garbage?
Ya know, I'm surprised you haven't confused the boys more frequently to be honest. I don't know how you do it.

Debs said...

I'm used to my family calling me by the wrong name, it's when it's people that don't even know my sisters. I'll happily answer to Bekki (cos I'm used to it), but then later I think hang on a minute...