Sunday, June 11, 2006

Chuck E. Cheese's

It was a place I had never been. They either didn't exist when I was a kid, or my parents didn't know about them, either. Or maybe they did but were wise enough to remain silent. In any case, I was pretty sure this was a place I never wanted to go.

Chuck E. Cheese's.

The thing is, yesterday was the 16th rainy day we had in a row. It was cold and wet and Nick was bouncing off the walls at 8am. We had planned on going to the Aquarium. This would have been an all day outing. First of all, it's in Boston, and it's a pain to get to. Parking is expensive. Admission is expensive. And I'm also confident Nick would have been there 15 minutes before loosing interest. Chuck E. Cheese's is closer. And they have pizza!

So we went.

I have never seen my children so stimulated. The games, the noises... there is a climbing structure ON THE CEILING! You know, those hamster tubes for kids to climb through. And they wisely created a ladder inside a mesh enclosure that only the bigger kids would be able to climb, which is probably the only reason we didn't loose Nick up there. There is a smaller climbing structure for toddlers, and he was fine with that. But the games, the lights, the giant mouse (who I always though of as a rat, but no, he's a mouse) walking around dancing... Even Nathan was stimulated beyond belief. The pizza was horribly overpriced and mediocre. And the fries tasted like the potatoes had gone over. But let's face it - you don't go there for fine dining. You go there so you can sit while your kid runs around and gets tired and will take a long nap.

Even after his nap, Nicholas was still crying because we left the place. He kept saying "money! wheel! money! wheel!" over and over. Because they had COINS to play the games, and of course most games and rides had wheels...

If it were just me, I would never go back. I would squirrel away our quarters and save up for my dream trip to Disney. But my kids seem to love it, and there are a LOT of nap times between now and the time when Nate will be old enough to ride Space Mountain.

3 comments:

Lou said...

I said I'd never use pacifiers - and I did. I said I'd never let my kid watch tv before the age of 2 - and I did. I said I'd never breastfeed past 6 months - and I am. BUT I contend that I will NEVER go to Chuck E. Cheese's.

Anonymous said...

chuck E. Cheese is EVIL ...but I understand completely why kids love it & parents eventually do give in. Do what you have to to keep them happy & you sane!

Jamie said...

Chuck E Cheese? It's like the more fortunate older brother of sport's world. I WANNA go to Chuck E Cheese's, what's wrong with Chuck E. Cheese's?