Saturday, June 10, 2006

Keeping it Safe

When I first started this blog I told myself I would do it in a vague way. I would, under no circumstances, post personal information, like our last name, our address, phone numbers, work places, ages, weight, social security numbers, favorite foods, and most important - I would NEVER post pictures of my children.

Well, I quickly found that a picture is worth... what, people? What is a picture worht? That's right, a thousand words. I mean, mostly readers of this blog are family and friends, people I eventually force pictures on anyway. And the occasional browser. And Debs, but she's what I refer to as a "Loyal Reader." Plus I read her blog, too, so... there you go.

But yesterday, as I was trying to get videos to somehow work on this site, I started to feel creepy. I like I was somehow pimping out my kids. It isn't this site. If I could just post a film clip on this site I might not have such a huge problem with it. But the fact that I first have to go through YouTube... I am not comfortable with that. Which is strange, I know. I mean, the internet is the internet. If strange people want to watch images of my kids, they can just as easily read this site as go to YouTube. But... maybe it's having the clips posted in two places? Or perhaps I just feel funny about posting on YouTube because they force me to write a description of the content of my video, and include key words - so if anyone does a search for Baby and Snow, my film clip will pop up. If I mark it Private, it won't work on my blog.

So, besdies the fact that I still do not know how to post it correctly, I'm having moral issues on the video thing. Feel free to comment and sway me in either direction.

4 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, okay, first, I loooove the picture of Nick riding his tryke! He looks so in charge & confident! I just hope he's not learning to "drive" like you or Winston -- you 'talk' to the traffic to this day (ala me) & Winston's first words behind his little plastic footy car were: "Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!" (ala your Dad).

Okay, but back to the point: Perhaps you are right to have second thoughts about posting the videos. Though I do hate their 'journalism', DateLine has shown that there are all too many weirdos out there. So, maybe it's best there's just the stills on this page.

Debs said...

oh wow, I wouild comment on the video thing, but I'm a little distracted by the big grin I've got on my face after seeing myself described as a loyal reader :-)
Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while, but I've just been catching up with you guys and now I'll go write something. (The main problem is having to share my housemates computer, and her planning for school takes priority.)

Ok, having thought about the video thing it seems like maybe it's best to stick to still photos if it's mostly your family that read this blog - they can catch up on the videos at your place (and that's a good reason to make them come visit). If, on the other hand you do post any video clips I would enjoy seeing them!

Lou said...

I don't really see any difference between photos and videos . . . so, in my mind it's either all or nothing. As long as you don't reveal your last name (you might want to edit Jamie's comment - doh!) or post your address and stuff, I feel like you're as safe as you're gonna get. Blogging puts you out there for people, all people, even the weirdos. I choose to forget about the freaks though and put my head in the sand and have fun.