Sunday, December 03, 2006

Feed the World


OK... so our house is upside down. Everything is shoved into our dining room. Our fridge, our trash compactor, our washer and dryer... I drew the line at the toilet. I had Steve put that in the front hall, next to the stairs, as I simply can't stand the thought of having a toilet in the same place we're storing our food.

The maze of baby gates is impossible to navigate. I just tripped over one of them with Nate in my arms. It seems you just can't turn around without bumping into one of the darn things. The only people that don't seem to have too much of a problem and Nick and Nate, who manage to scale them, move them, or knock them over without too much difficulty. I have thought of taking them down, but we somehow need to cut off access to the kitchen, not just to the kids, but to Gunther The Dog Then I need to cut off access to the stairs, for Nate the Mountain Climber. And then the living room cannot be accessed except by kitchen, but refuse to give up 1 - the TV I know how to use and 2 - this computer I am using not to mention 3 - the piano and half the kids toys. So we will go over when the floor guys are looking the other way, and I will keep them in with babygate #3.

As of now, we have no way to cook food. Not even a microwave. Just a toaster oven. We have no way to wash clothing, except by hand. To wash dishes (sip cups, bottles, etc.) I need to bring them to the upstairs bathroom, where I have stashed the ktichen sponges and dishwashing liquid. I shall be purchasing paper plates. Lots and lots of paper plates.

I have no idea what I am going to feed my family for the next 2 weeks. Take out. Pizza. Sandwiches. Which brings me to the Holiday Song of the Day... FEED THE WORLD. Or Let Them KNow It's Christmastime.

Do you know this song? You do if you went to my high school, because it was the "cool" carol we sang each year. Originally it was recorded by a bunch of famous people whose names I can't think of to help raise money for poor people starving in Africa. And the lyrics talk about... well... poor people starving in Africa. And how there's no snow there. Not only is there no snow, but no rain, or rivers, or apparenlty water of any kind. Please don't get me wrong, I have a lot of sympathy for starving people in third world countries with no means of helping themselves, watching their children waste away. I really, really do. But it doesn't make for a good song. Not really. It's a reminder, but not very jolly.

Besides the fact that, in a deja vu moment after my daeck-the-halls post of yesterday, we sang it every year in chorus. And one year we had this chorus conductor who brought us in A WHOLE MEASURE EARLY. Of course we all knew the song, so we just looked at her until it was time to sing. Except this guy named Sam, who came in when she told us to. So he belted out "FEED THE WORLD!" all by himself, and we all glanced at him and immedialte sang "FEED THE WORLD!" when we were supposed to, in some parody echo, which was actually really funny, unless you were Sam. The chorus conductor was really apologetic, but she was a super flake and not very good, and ended up leaving at the end of the year.

The picture was Christmas last year. I have 3 pictures from Christmas last year, owing to the fact that I was very fat and slow, and not really in the mood to capture any of it.

2 comments:

Debs said...

Oh poor you. I hope the floor gets done really quick. I'm ever so sneezy after another session in our loft yesterday. It is getting quite clear now though, so the end of the sneezing is in sight (I hope!)

Anonymous said...

I say move to a 5-star hotel with baby sitting services for the duration. Or come here to NYC where we have 2 new bedrooms for you -- 1 for you & Steve & 1 for the kids! We will baby-sit the kids -- the tree is already up & all decorated!! We are about to begin the shopping very very soon!