Friday, December 15, 2006

Let it snow!

It's really hard to take a portrait picture of an active child. Here are some failed attempts of Nathan's Holiday Photograph. As soon as I press the button Nate moves, turns, or crumples his face up.


I feel a bit like a Scrooge when I complain about snow, especially so early into the winter, when there is no snow on the ground. When I was a kid I loved snow. I loved to play in it, to walk in it... I just loved it. Snow was so great. And many people think so. Many, many Holiday Carols, many that I've mentioned, mention snow. White Christmas. Winter Wonderland. Let it SNOW! Even Marshmallow World, which is just wrong. (Mashed potat0 world, Jamie?)
Anyway, somehow, growing up, snow has turned filthy. Maybe I've been living with it too long. I've had to drive in it too much. I've had it block me in my driveway too much, felt it sneak into my shoes, I don't know. Whatever it is, my honeymoon with snow is over.


Earlier this week I had to buy Nicholas new boots. I agonized over which boots to buy him before settling on T homas the Train Engine boots, even though they were a bit more expensive. And he loves them. In fact, he has already worn them a fair bit, especially considering that fact that it hasn't snowed and they haven't left the house. He wears them to breakfast, or to play in.


A couple of days ago he was wearing than as I was getting dressed. I turned around and saw him sitting on my nightstand, boots dangling. "Mommy?" he asked. "Is it snowing yet?"

And just for a moment%2

2 comments:

Debs said...

Thomas the train engine? That just sounds wrong. It's Thomas the Tank engine!
I want it to snow too. But I don't think it will. Oh well.

Jamie said...

and i want the streets to be paved with mashed potatoes