Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Story of Snow



It snowed yesterday.

Nicholas has been waiting impatiently for snow ever since he got new Thomas the Tank Engine Snow Boots. So when he woke up from his nap to find a couple of inches of white nestled in the grass, it wasn't surprising that he asked to go out.

First I ran upstairs and grabbed Nate's snowsuit, Nate's boots, Nick's boots, my boots, and a fleece top for me. I then changed Nick's diaper, which meant sitting on the potty, so I slipped on my fleece and my hat while I waited for him. When he was doneI gave him a clean pull-up and put on his pants, telling myself I'd get Nate bundled up first. Nate was missing a sock. I ran upstairs to get his missing sock. I came back and started changing Nate's diaper, only to find that the other sock had dissapeared. At this point Nick came back into the bathroom and announced that he was pooping, so I dropped everything and sat him back down on the potty, a few seconds too late. I was happy, however, that I had both boys in their matching blue sweatpants, which were easy to put on and take off.

While Nick was on the potty I ran upstairs to get Nathan new socks. When I came back down Nathan was running around the kitchen sans socks and sans diaper. I grabbed him, put on a diaper, which required a knee on his chest he wriggles so much and I am not kidding, put on his socks, his pants, and his snowsuit.

I then turned to Nick, helped him clean up, put him in a fresh diaper, and then realized that I was holding sweatpants sized 12 months, meaning that Nick's 3T sweatpants were on Nathan, and under his snowsuit. I peeled off Nate's snowsuit, pulled off the 3T sweatpants, which were easy to put on and take off, put on the 12 months sweatpants, put the snowsuit back on, and zipped it up, one knee on one wriggling chest.

Nick was crying at this point with frustration because he coudn't put his pants on himself. I guess they are only easy for ME to put on and take off. I helped him put them on. I helped him into his snowpants, figured out how to adjust the straps so they fit, helped him put on his coat, and helped him put on his Thomas the Tank Engine Boots. I then tracked Nathan down in the Living Room, and put his boots on his feet, which is hard because he doesn't understand the concept behind shoes, and refuses to help me out. When I push, he just bends his knee and move his leg, so the foot never quite gets all the way in the boot. At this point, I was sweating profusely in my fleece.

I put Nick's mittens on his hands and his hat on his head. I turned to Nathan and put on his hat. I put on his mittens and noticed that he had removed his boots. I put on his boots. He pulled off his hat. I put the hat in my pocket, pulled on my coat and gloves, and we were off.

All this for ten minutes in the snow. By then Nathan had snow down his boots and was encrusted in a layer of ice an inch thick. My jeans were soaking wet. Nicholas cried because we were going in. Apparently his snowpants work.

1 comment:

Debs said...

So you had fun then?!?!