Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Like a Light Bulb!




This April, Nicholas will be doing our taxes. Here he is getting ready.

Yesterday it did not snow for real. The drifty flake thing stopped after ten minutes and the sky became a clear blue. The floor guys put these big hard sheets of something down over half the area, prepping for the actual tile. Just to give people who haven't see my kitchen an idea of what they're doing... our kitchen is 700 sqare feet. That's bigger than a lot of apartments, and nearly as big as some houses. So it's actually a lot of space, not just "a kitchen." Which is why it's going to take so much time.

Today's Sng Of The Day (Isn't this exciting for you all? Don't you all just thrill with anticipation, wondering which song I'm going to choose next? Yeah - sorry about this, but I felt I had to do it.) Today's song is RUDOLPH, The Red Nosed Reindeer. I like Rudolph, as a little deer with light bulb nose. The song itself... well, it's cute. It's great for kids. It teaches a lesson, and it's happy and jolly, and it has those wonderful parts you can yell stuff int (like Monopoly!) But I am allergic to this song.

You know what it is? It was that year we all had to sing it, and we were recording it, and we'd get it perfectly, because how can you mess up Rudolph, until the very end. Some people would sing HIIIIS -TOOOO -RYYYYYYYY, and some people would sing HIS TO RYYYYYYYY, and some people just HISTORY! And we would talk and bicker about how it should end, HIS (two three four) TO (wo three four) RYYY (two three four) or maybe just HIS (two) TO (four) RY ( two three four) , and then sing the whole thing over, and someone would mess it up and do something else, and we'd have to sing it AGAIN, and after you sing any song over fifteen times in a row you start not to like it anymore.

After this I can honestly say that I feel for Greg Page, the Yellow Wiggle, who is retiring with health issues. Because even though he has probably made a mint and is very sucessful, beyond what anyone with an early childhood education degree would rightfully dream of, he HAS had to sing each of those songs about a gazillion times. And yes, he did write them, but still, if they get on parents' nerves after being played 5 times, singing them a gazillion times must really have taken a toll on his mental health. Even though what I read said it was his heart keeping him from dancing and such. Whatever. I'm glad Nick is two and has no idea, because the love he feels for the Wiggles reminds me of the crazy screaming girls who would cry watching the Beatles (Here's something interesting - there was a FIFTH WIGGLE! Just like the fifth Beatle. Go figure. I think it was the Green Wiggle.) My POINT is, I just don't want Nick to feel the pain of his first band break-up so soon. Especially when we're having him do our taxes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to send Nick my taxes. Is he taking out of state clients?

And just for the record: I HATE the Little Drummer Boy. Think of poor Mary. She has travelled arduous miles on the back of a donkey. She gets to town & her husband says there are NO ROOMS anywhere so he puts her up in stable full of cute, but stinky animals. Then she goes through hours of labour WITHOUT drugs & finally it's all over & the kid is sleeping when some smarty-pants little neighborhood kid starts whacking away on a drum of all things! I don't care what the song says, I know she struggled to sit up & threw something hard & pointy at that little bastard!