Saturday, December 09, 2006

Just My Size

Every few months I go through the chest of drawers I keep the boys' clothing in and weed out outfits that no longer fit. I'm always caught by surprise because, when you think about it, babies go out of one size and into others so quickly. Baby clothes are sized in Months. Newborn, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months. The 18 months, and 24 months, which is also 2T. Or maybe it's T2. Whatever. And I don't know what other people's kids are like, but mine always seem to be ahead. They are too long for onsie PJ's to fit unless it's the step ahead - so at 3 months they are comfortable in 6 months, etc.
And then baby clothes get strange. Think of a 6 month baby, and then picture a year old baby. Different, right? Yet I have a bunch of cothing sized "6 to 12 months."

Babies grow a lot at first, and then they usually even out. Nicholas was able to wear some clothing this fall that he wore last winter. It was 18 months, but he could kind of fit into it, and pants-wise he was tripping over the 24 months stuff. (They must make baby clothes like women clothes - for long legged, thin babies with small waists.)

A few days ago I changed out Nathan's clothing, packing away everything that said "9 months" and bringing out the size 18 month shirts and PJ's, since the 12 month PJs were getting tight. I got a little nostalgic, as I always do, thinking about when Nick used to wear all of that stuff... and then I paused.

Wait, I thought. These dinosaur pyjamas - aren't then still IN Nick's drawer? And this shirt? And what about this fleece?

Then I realized that the reason I thought it was all still in NIck's drawer is because I JUST PUT THEM AWAY. One month I'm storing things Nick has grown out of, the next I'm dragging it back out for Nathan.

And I'm encouraged, because eventually perhaps they can share a wardrobe and I won't have to do this clothing swap thing anymore.

This is a picture of our new front hall. What do you think?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

This is where we all learned the art of stealing clothes from each other. Nick and Nate will learn it too. I think the toilet is a nice touch to the front hall. It's furniture the cats can scratch on all day long.

Debs said...

Looking good - about as "everything's in the wrong place" as our house is looking right now (although we don't have a toilet in the hall!)