Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pleeeeeze, Santa?



Yesterday we got a tree.

When I was a kid, our Christmas decorations were always really nice. We had the tree, some garland on the bannister and the fireplace, a wreath on the door, and then later a tree on the balcony. Our neighbors actually asked us to stop putting the tree on our balcony at one point, as they were Jewish. I don't really remember, but I don't think my parents complied with this request, telling the complaintants that they could put something on their own lawn if they wished.

I have to laugh about that now, because people in New England really do the holidays UP! Across the street from us is a house with an inflatable snowman 8 feet tall, an inflatable snowglobe with snowmen inside it, and at least two light-up reindeer. Every house has lights on the trees outside, or candles in the window, some have wreaths on every window (that's around 12 wreaths!) and more than a few have inflatable figures. One house not too far from us has more than a hundred light-up figures on the lawn, including three nativity scenes, and there is a sign telling people they can wander around and look at their own risk. The taste in decorations range from classic to cute to outrageously gaudy. But the point is, it's festive, and it's fun. If I can get around to taking a picture, I will post it for all to see.

I have done a lot of decorating over the past 2 days, and our house is now ready for the season. I even took out the snowman that sings and dances to the "Peppermint Twist" which is enough to drive me nuts, but Nate really seems to like it.

I am almost ready. Almost. Almost. Almost.

No comments: