Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chatter chatter



Nicholas is bouncing back and forth from being so sick that he just cries for no reason, and from being so medicated that he feels no pain and chatters on about everything. Yesterday I took him to the doctor AGAIN and despite having a fever of 104, he happily sat there reading a book while waiting. As soon as she opened the door he looked up and exclaimed "I'm so glad to see you!" The whole visit she spoke directly to him, turning her head to hide her smile when he gave his funny answers.

"Do your ears hurt?" she asked.

"I just have a little gas."

"Can I check out your ears?"

"Absolutely!"

Of course, she found nothing, except that his throat looked "a little yucky" and told us to just keep medicating him. Which is fine, but I really do wonder how long a kid is supposed to walk around medicated to keep down a fever. We can't send him to school, I can't take him out, we're basically trapped in our own home. And every three hours I have to have a fight about forcing medicine down someone's throat.

I keep telling myself it won't last forever, and that the doctors are right, and eventually, maybe by the end of the week, it will magically go away.

Then again, Nathan's temperature is a bit high these days, so maybe forever is the right word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you already know this, but fluids, fluids and more fluids.

Poor little Nick --- I hope he'll be feeling better soon.

His chat with the doctor is too funny!!!

Love his little jacket.