Saturday, May 05, 2007

I love my house, I love my nest...

It's the time of year when nature once again asserts itself and reminds us that there are other creatures out there besides us. By that I don't just meant that little buggies seem to crawl all over any item the kids leave in the grass for more than two minutes.

Yesterday morning I saw deer grazing by the brook for the first time in a long while. I love to watch them. Unfortunately, Gunther, who never seems to notice them when they are on OUR side of the brook, noticed them yesterday and began barking frantically, probably in an attempt to get them to play. I resisted the urge to rush out and ahout out an explanation of the electric fence, knowing the deer wouldn't understand the concept and would think I was a liar.

The geese are also back. I hate the geese. They poop a lot.

But the best visitors we've had so far have been the birds. There are many many birds. Including one that kept returning to the deck, often with twigs in his mouth. A few moments before dinner I poited him out to Steve. "I think he's making a nest in the Grill," I said. So Steve went out and lifted the cover, only to have a second bird fly into his face. It's hard to say who was more startled. And what was in our grill? This.


We left the hood open after clearing out the half built nest. All day yesterday I watched the bird hop around, trying to figure out what happened to his home, specifically the roof. Once he showed up with three other birds who just looked and shook their birdy heads before flying off. We think they were contractors bidding for the jod of rebuilding.

1 comment:

Debs said...

Ahh, poor birds. I hope they can find somewhere more suitable to rebuild!
Spring is great, all the new life and growth everywhere. Just a shame there has to be so much pollen!