Tuesday, May 01, 2007

True Life



Ever since I got the news my Aunt Frances was in the hospital, emotions have been beating me up from the inside. They have run the gammet from sadness to anger and hope to helplessness.

But none of those emotions could be compared to what I felt last night when I took Nick's temperature and the digital readout said 105.2.

That isn't a typo. That's one hundred and five point two degrees.

Nick just has this fever. He's complaining for a sore throat, but the doctor looked and said it was fine. His ears are fine. His lungs are fine. She even took a culture anyway, on the off chance it was strep. It wasn't. That was BEFORE his fever got so high. So of course I was on the phone in a panic.

He slept last night, but woke at 5am with 103.6 which isn't very comforting.

Frances's funeral is Thursday. I had been planning on taking the boys, which seems silly now that I think about it. But now I am not sure I even want to leave Nick. Not when he's got a fever that soars almost before whatever medication (Tylonol and Motrin) we're giving him wears out.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Stay home & take care of your boys. You can always go visit Aunt Betty & Mary Claire later. It's most important to get Nicky well again. Don't take chances by travelling with him.

I'll be in LA all this week & part of next -- starting tomorrow. I plan to Emily while I am there. We'll raise a glass to Aunt Frances.