Monday, May 28, 2007

Cupcake Shot

Nicholas asked for red cupcakes this year. But I could not find a tub of red icing. I tried making some, but no matter how much food coloring I put in, the icing remained... not red. Take a look.



Nicholas looked crestfallen when he saw the first few cupcakes. "Why did you make them purple?" he asked. But the problem was solved when I let him have a container of sprinkles. Half of the container ended up on the first two cupcakes. But near the end, Nick looked at the remaining sprinkles and said, "the rest I'm saving for me because I'm a little hungry." And then he ate the rest of the sprinkles like candy.

Nathan helped clean up, mostly by picking up the stray clumps of sprinkles and eating them.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

How do I make red icing?

Red icing can be tricky to make. Many professional decorators avoid it because it is kind of a pain. To make red icing you need to plan ahead. You'll need to make it at least one or better yet, two days in advance. If you try to make it the day you need it you'll either (a) not be able to get it dark enough, or (b) you'll add so much food coloring that it will turn blotchy after it dries on the cookies. To make red icing, take the amount of royal icing you anticipate you'll need -- maybe a little more just to be safe -- and add food coloring -- I like our gel colors -- to get it to a nice dark pink. Now, put it away for two days. It will darken over time. When I make red icing I use maraschino cherry juice instead of water as my liquid and almond flavoring. This takes the icing to a nice pink and it tastes good. Then I add enough gel color to get my dark pink icing. After two days I have a dark red icing.

Debs said...

Wow. Linda really does know everything. Will have to remember that for future reference.

I remember trying to make blue to be the sky on a cake for HP. We found some powder in a cake shop up the road, but it somehow made the icing taste like egg, and not in a good way. That was a few years ago now though, I think I've seen blue in lots of places since.