Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How We Eat



My kids become hungriest when I start cooking dinner. Suddenly their ears prick up and then come running from all four corners of the earth (yes, I have two children, I don't know how they manage to reach all four corners, but they do) begging me for a slice of bread, cheese, some tomato, goldfish crackers, ANYTHING! Because they are starving, you see. And besides, they don't like whatever it is I'm cooking anyway.

I usually give in to the first of these demands, reasoning that I am hungry, too, and will also be nibbling while I cook. Also, as long as I only give them a reasonable number of Cheerios and don't let them rn away with the whole box, it won't completely ruin dinner. And also, they won't eat dinner, anyway.

Nicholas is a grabber. I will extend a handful of raisins or Cheerios meaning for the boys to share, and Nicholas will somehow manage to fitt my palmful into his much smaller palm, mostly by also placing large handfuls into his mouth.

Nathan, on the other hand, has a much more delicate style. He can do one of two things. The first is to trat my hand like a bowl, and eat the Cheerios one at a time from my hand. He refuses to hold more than one at a time, or to eat them from a cup or a bowl. He needs me and my Mommy Hand holding the Cheerios for him. This is preferable, though, to the second thing he does, which is to eat the Cheerios DIRECTLY FROM MY HAND. Like a horse or a goat, licking my palm for the very last remnants of Cheerio or raisiny goodness.

As for me, I prefer pie, in bed, either with a good book or watching HOUSE.

2 comments:

Debs said...

Ooooh, HOUSE, me like too :-)

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Mmmm, grape ice pops! My faourite was blueberry or root beer but what I ususally found in the freezer was orange.