Sunday, May 06, 2007

Good Show! Whot, whot!


Yesterday I drove down to Cambridge and saw Mike Daisey perform his monologue, MONOPOLY! It was absolutely fantastic for more than a few reasons.

First of all, this is only the second one that I've seen, but Mike's monologues are amazing. In this one he manages to weave together Monopoly (the game), Wal-Mart, Tesla, Microsoft, and also some aspects of a production that he worked on a while ago. The performance is intelligent, enlightening, funny, and touching. Not all at the same time, at different times, otherwise we'd all be shivering balls of goo by the end.

Seriously, if you ever, ever have a chance to see Mike perform, please go for it. I promise you, it is neither a waste of time nor money, it is worth it, I swear. And he goes everywhere, to so many places, that I'm sure eventually he'll be where you are. GO! Mom, Dad, THIS MEANS YOU! I mean it, you might really enjoy yourselves.

Mike is a friend of mine from school, about a billion years ago, and we were both in that crazy theatre company in rural Maine, because none of us had the sense to go anywhere there were actually people to work on our craft. But that is not why I think his show was spectacular! Really! It is really, really good.

After the show I got to hang out with Mike and a few other friends that I happen to see more often, and I had such a great time, despite the fact that I spilled water everywhere and kept checking my cell phone like some neurotic mother. I have to remember to get in touch with him again soon. MIKE - stop by on your way up to NH, if you can! Just let me know when.

The one drawback about hanging out with people from school is that I start to feel nostalgic and get the urge to memorize scripts and start singing show tunes in a really loud, now-out-of-practice voice. Thank goodness the boys are my best critics.

1 comment:

Lou said...

Damn - I wish I had known you were going.