Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sprinkler Tales

Yesterday it was hot. So I thought it would be a good idea to plug in the sprinkler and let the boys play in it.

This sounds so easy, doesn't it?

First I had to get the boys ready. This was slightly less complicated than getting them ready for play in the snow. But instead of putting stuff on, it's mostly taking stuff off. Then putting on swim diapers, then fighting them to apply sun lotion, which is hard because they don't like it and start to pull away, at that point it is, truly, like trying to hold on to a greased pig. Two greased pigs.

Once hats were on and towels located, I picked them up and headed outdoors, where they immediately gravitated to the small plastic wading pool. This pool was full of water. Why, you ask, would a semi-intelligent person allow a pool full of water to remain on her property when there are small children about who could easily drown? Well, the answer is I DIDN'T! That pool is the cause of so many problems. First of all, it's light plastic, so if it's not weighted down the slightest wind will send it into the bushes separating our yard from our neighbors. Second, if you leave it out empty, the rain will fill it up within a week. I swear, even if it doesn't rain, it will only take a week. Finally, even if you put it upsdie down, the rain will cause the plastic to bend and turn the stupid thing inside out. Water is heavy.

Anyway, the big issue with the pool yesterday was not the dirty rainwater in the filthy pool, but the dead chipmunk floating on top of it. I had to rush insdie for a bucket to scoop out the poor creature and tote it to the bushes (where the pool escapes to) and then empty the stupid pool AGAIN. This time I dragged it into the basement and told myself I would scrub it clean with floor cleaner before the boys would use it again. We'll see. It might be easier to buy a new one.

Finally I hooked the sprinkler up and turned the spigot... only to realize that the outside water hadn't been turned on yet, and I had no idea how to do it. So I had to call Steve at work.

Once the water was on and the sprinkler was working, Nicholas screamed and Nathan cried. It was on for less than two minutes.

1 comment:

Debs said...

Don't you just love kids?!