Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Chubby Rain

The other day I found tree in our yard entirely covered with these:

At first I thought I was fruit of some kind, waterlogged by the storm. But I simply couldn't remember ever seeing anything on that particular tree before. And these things looke more like jellyfish than anything else. But it simply hadn't rained enough or flooded enough to explain jellyfish washing up on a 20 foot tall juniper tree. Besides, they were only in that tree, not in the ones around it, or on the ground or anything.

Then I started thinking about this Dean Koontz book I read called The Taking. I'm not a huge Dean Koontz fan but I can't help reading his books anyway. This book involved alien life forms coming down in a rainstorm, including molds or fungi that disfigured trees and plants, turning backyards and streets into odd swampy jungly environments... A bit like the plot for the film they made in the movie Bowfinger, where the aliens come down IN THE RAINDROPS... I guess a lot of rain can make you start thinking crazy things.

We are pretty sure this is Cedar Apple Rust, which does affect juniper trees. It looks gross, but Steve assures me it's harmless, unless you happen to have apple trees. Which we don't.

5 comments:

LARISSA said...

OK....EWWWWW. I'm glad to hear this stuff is harmless (though i find it hard to believe just looking at it) - what i really want to know is how does that stuff just spring up overnight?

And Happy B-day Winston! Welcome to the 30s club!!

Anonymous said...

that is SO gross. ewwwwwww. i like the aliens theory better!

xox
alee

Debs said...

freaky, but also quite cool. I like the alien idea.

Anonymous said...

Run! And take the children! They ARE aliens. I know b/cs they have taken me to their mother. The Big Blob! She wants us all to join her. Run now before it's too late!!!!

Anonymous said...

Chubby Rain! I loved Bowfinger. We laughed hysterically in the move theater even though no one around us was. One of Heather Grahms's finer perforcemances. Dude, sorry your trees have been taken over. Is your backyard still a lake? I love you!