Sunday, May 14, 2006

Oh! MOTHER'S Day!


When I was a kid, Mother's day was one of those "not real" holidays. Even at a young age, I felt it was just a normal day in disguise, as though I knew it was just an excuse card companies made up to try and sell greeting cards. It didn't really count. Oh, I loved my mother, and I was glad she had me, and my younger siblings. I was happy to make her pancakes or buy her flowers or a tea set, something to make her smile. But something about the day... didn't apply. I didn't understand why she needed her own special day.

Now that I am a mother, I get it. Oh! Yeah! These past few nights when I've been getting up every 2 hours with Nate? Yesterday when he puked in my hair? When Nick puked at the breakfast table? The endless loads of laundry? The fact that I haven't been out to the movies in two years? Or been able to listen to a CD that isn't the Wiggles without someone crying asking for the Wiggles? The screaming, the crying, the whining, the 3000 diapers I have chenged - and the 3000 I will still have to change... the shopping, the dinner, the clean up... THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR! TODAY! TODAY IS FOR ALL THAT! OH! I GET IT NOW!

Thanks, Mom. Happy Mother's Day, for real. I hope you are having a good time in Thailand with Jamie - WHO HAS YOU ALL TO HIMSELF AND HE BETTER APPRECIATE IT!

3 comments:

Debs said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too.
You're doing a great job at it, from what I've heard...!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Fleen!

Jamie said...

Happy Mother's Day to YOU! Mom's in a spa at this very moment (and for the next three hours) treating herself to her mohter's day gift. I recommend you do the same after you change your 3,000th diaper of the day. Keep count!