Sunday, May 21, 2006

Lists To Make

I am a list maker.

I suppose most people restrict their list making to activities like grocery lists, so that when they go to the store they know what they need and don't forget the milk and the butter and instead bring home a 4th jar of pickles. I use a grocery list whenever I go shopping.

But I also make a list for my weekly trip to Wal-Mart. So that I won't get overwhelmed each day, I make a weekly schedule with a to-do list for each day, including things like "Wash hair." That way I won't forget to do anything, and I won't feel that panic when I look around and see all of the things I need to do. I just follow the list.

But that's not all. I make lists of bigger chores I need to do, like paint the basement, fix the dishwasher, get a new kitchen floor. I make lists of things I need to pack when I go on vacation. My trip to France 2 months from now? I've already made a list of what bags I will bring, what will go in each bag, and what I need to buy.

I have a whole notebook dedicated to lists. It keeps me from loosing my mind - when I ignore my lists I get stressed and grumpy. Is this crazy? Seriously, is it a crazy thing? Because it seems rigid at times, and a bit obsessive. But it works for me, I really have to tell you.

4 comments:

Debs said...

I love lists. Especially ones like what to take on holiday. I always get to write those for our family holidays. We're off to Scotland this Summer and I've already started thinking about what we need.
You can never have too many lists, whatever some people might say.

Anonymous said...

We love lists and the strange way they seem to comfort you. You don't actually have to do anything, just make a list of what you need to do and you feel better already!!!

Anonymous said...

Lists! Lists are purrrr-fect! They are so helpful & even if you don't get all the way through them, you just revise them & make another one!!! What could be better? And they are so comforting. You keep on with those lists!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie! I love your lists. I am a list fanatic too! Like you I have a daily list, a weekly list, a list of small non-critical housekeeping items that I want to accomplish, a packing list, a pre-packing list. Once I even had list that included as a to-do item: "Find List"...because I had lost one of my previous lists, and was feeling lost without it.