Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Harvard's Mini Me

I have been looking for "school" options for Nicholas. Nothing full time, just two or three days a week so that he can begin getting used to "school" and begin interacting with children his age.

Before he was born we visited one place just around the corner, and I called them and asked for updated information. This morning, we visited another location.

The first thing I did when we got home was take the two information packets, sift through the pages of program descriptions, mission statements, offered activities, and parent references, to find the most important pages of all: The Program Rates. I mean, come on, does it matter if their playground equipment is top of the line if we can't afford to step foot in the playground?

Well... I'm not sure we can afford to step foot in the playground. The place we saw today... the classroom for his age group was rather small. It would include children as young as 14 months - the only requirement is that they be walking. He would need to be potty trained before he could move up to the nursery class. And I still don't know if we could afford the tuition for two days a week.

I'm torn because I really want to give Nicholas the opportunity to interact with other kids. We do have the occasional playgroup, which is great! But seeing kids on a regular basis, and having a routine that is consistant can be valuable, too. Of course, he's still very young, but they grow and develop so quickly... Choices, choices, choices... He cried when we left.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

oooh. I just reread that and it sounded a little harsh.

I wanted to add that I completely understand and respect your issue around that...and how hard the decision is. And I know it's not just that you don't want to seem like a snob.

I'm just really nuts about the Pre-K thing.

Lou said...

Am I missing something? Where does it say anything about not wanting to seem like a snob? Also, just let me say that I've known Kathleen for a very long time and she (and now her husband and their family) have always been self-sufficient and not the types to take hand-outs (even if they are from Kathleen's father). Have some dignity, anonymous. Oh, and how dare you try to make her feel like she's shafting her kids if she doesn't want to shell out an arm and a leg for her 2 year old to go to "school." Shame on you.

Kathleen said...

People feel strongly about this issue. Some people feel that sending a young kid to preschool is neglectful, and that parents are just trying to get the kids off their hands for a few hours a day. Others feel that keeping a kid at home until they are 5 or 6 is depreiving the child of social interaction and the opportunities to develop these skills. I happen to be a fan of early childhood education, and I feel that my kids will develop the best if they have me at home and a "school" to go to where they can make friends and learn things that I either can't teach them, or don't have time to. PLUS - we have no public kindergarten here, so the program I'm choosing would take him right through it and is meant to prepare him for the first grade.
When it comes to "taking handouts" let me just say that my parents have been generous, but that I also feel we should be able to swing it ourselves. If we can't, then perhaps it isn't the right program for us.
I'm not cutting corners on anything, beleive me. I'm just trying to decide if he's ready, if we're ready, and if any of these programs are actually worht my child's time.
I'll probably talk more about it later.

Kathleen said...

FOR THE RECORD - I deleted the first comment not because I disagreed with content, but because it used dad's name.
Steve doesn't want someone to show up and kidnap our children. I can post photos, but I can't give out details like our last name, address, phone numbers, social security numbers... little things like that.
OK? Are we all cool?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can see this is a hot button issue. Since I don't have any kids, my 2 cents is probably worth nothing, but here goes: I don't think there's anything wrong with Mom getting a few hours to herself (okay, Nate will be there) & Nick or any child getting to interact with other kids his age in a structured environment. And finding the best place for each child is exactly what every parent does, including taking 'help' from other family members if that's what it takes. But Kathleen has been independent for some time & I admire her & Steve for living within their means. Every young family has their money struggles; it doesn't mean the children are being deprived in any way or that corners are being cut in their development. With Kathleen's background in early childhood ed, I think she's in a perfect position to evaluate & choose the right program for Nick & also to figure out when he's ready to stretch the cord a bit. Having Mommy waiting at home after school is great!! You go, Kathleen!