Sunday, May 28, 2006

the night was...

Yesterday was one of the most humid days I can remember. In this house. We don't have air-conditioning in the main house, so we either have to suffer through it or hole up in the den, where the windows are blacked out so we can watch movies on a big screen.

Yesterday my friend Larissa also came to visit. She's in New Jersey, and we really don't see each other very often, so I was probably more excited than you would think.

Yesterday was also the day our new dishwasher was scheduled to be delivered. I was also understandably looking forward to this delivery, as I've been washing everything by hand since ours broke. Oh, I know, poor me, but really: 3000 sippy cups a day. No matter how I tried to consolidate.

At any rate, Larissa's visit consited mainly of our pretending that Steve wasn't in the room toiling in the wet heat trying to dismantle the old dishwasher, which it turned out was hardwired into the electrical system of the house. I told him to forget it, and that we'd call an electrician on Tuesday, but he shut the electricity off and took it out himself. I was sure he'd electrocute himself or set the house on fire or something. When the new dishwasher was delivered, it turned out that needed hardwiring into our system as well - I thought these things came with plugs. Who knew? So Steve did that, too. Larissa was a huge help distracting the kids, because Nick just wanted to "help" his dad, and Nathan has turned into Mr. Drooly-Grumpy Pants. Could be teeth. Could be the heat. It doesn't really matter because there's nothing I can do and he's miserable.

By the time Larissa left we had an almost-completely-installed dishwasher, one that is now completely installed and running. Ain't Steve great, everybody? One day, Larissa should come over and we can do the dishes together. Just like old times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all, but especially to Steve!!! Just let me know when you're getting that air conditioning installed -- that's when I'm coming to visit!!