Monday, May 29, 2006

Morning After

Yesterday we had Nicholas's bithday party, even though he doesn't technically turn two until... gulp... tomorrow.

At this age, kids don't really play "together." I mean, they might play together, but they don't play WITH each other as often as they play NEAR each other. So when I say we went to the 2nd birthday party of one of Nick's friends, it means that his mother and I get together and watch our kids play with the same bunch of toys for awhile.

Ever since that party, where there were 30 something people, two cakes, tons of presents, and a pinata, Nick kept saying "Birthday?" We told him he was having a party. He was so excited. So when he woke up from his nap yesterday and I dressed him in his cute car overalls, he was jumping out of his skin. He could hear his Gramma's voice from downstairs. I kind of overdid it on balloons, but I think it was worth it. Steve's Aunt and cousin came, and a friend I used to work with and her family, including her little boy, James. Nick was SO taken with James, even tough he's only a little over a year old. It was great! Nick was excited about the presents, but could have cared less about the food. Including the cupcakes. (I also overdid it on the cupcakes - I ended up with something like 50 of them.) He was running around and climbing out of bed and over the baby gate long after his bedtime. I'm sure the three juice boxes and all the sugar had nothing to do with it.

Overall, the party was a success because Nicholas had a wonderful time. I would have liked to see more kids there, but I think this is my issue and not Nick's. I thought about it and decided that when he's been in "school" for a while and had a chance to meet other kids and make his own friends, his third birthday could be more "kid" oriented.

Then I got very sad at how big he was getting and decided that he's not allowed to turn three. He has to stay two for as long as he can.

Which, let's face it, will probably be only about a year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nicky!!! I love you!

LARISSA said...

that is one of the funniest photos i've seen in a long time. did he actually just fall asleep there? it looks like he passed out from too much cupcake.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»