Monday, May 15, 2006

I SAID send SCOOOBA GEEER!!!!



My father and my brother Winston came up to visit me this weekend, which was really nice. It rained the whole time, but I like to think they had a good time anyway. They like to come up to visit from New York City, not only to see my boys, (Nick, Nate, and Steve) but because we have a nice bit of rural property. As you can see from the photo above, we have a good sized lawn, and there's always the brook in the back for canoeing or kyaking. What? You don't see the brook in that photo? Well, it IS hard to see... it's that small black line... here, maybe THIS photo will help:




I TOLD you it was raining! Didn't I? DIDN'T I?

We usually see the water swell a bit in the spring, but this is the highest we've ever seen the brook rise in the three years we've been here. Yesterday Steve and Winston waded (and kyaked) through the water to save the canoe, which was actually in more danger of sinking than floating away. Later I spotted some Foam Targets floating away from where the previous owners had stored them behind the shed.

The scariest part took place at 10:30PM last night, when we got a phone call from the authorities stating that they were having a voluntary evacuation because a dam up the road might wash out. Steve and I talked it over and decided that the water behind the dam wasn't that high. Some houses are much lower, closer to the water, but our is up on a rise, and it would take MUCH more flooding before it even reached our basement floor. When and if the time comes he promised me we would load all babies and pets into the minivan and drive to his mother's. He's working at home today just in case.

The worst part is that the rain hasn't stopped. It keeps raining, and the report on TV said it would rain all week.

3 comments:

LARISSA said...

uhhh.. Kath, is there anything IN that shed that seems to be floating in water?

Kathleen said...

No.
The shed is empty of anything of value.
The Volkswagon Beetle, the one under the tarp right outside it, the '72 cherry red one? Yeah, that's the biggest material item I have concerns about despite plans to sell. Including the shed itself, which looks like it was made by sheets of compressed wood by someone who knows as much about building sheds as, say, me.

Jamie said...

oh wow! your lawn is so green! i mean...the flooding sucks and all, but maybe this'll be a particularly lush summer for you guys, once all that nonsense stops